Friday, March 20, 2009

Ahh...Midgets



DISCLAIMER:

Dear Reader,
In no way does me using the word midget mean that I'm making fun of the little people. So don't be offended. If I were a little person I would much rather be called a midget rather than a dwarf. Dwarf is insulting. It's very Disney. You know what I'm saying?

Sincerely, Christina

If Ray from In Bruges was a real person, and he could have been witness to what I saw over St. Patrick's day weekend, and on St. Patty's day he would have shit himself with joy. I was sitting at a bar waiting for my friend's band to play when 2 midgets walked in. Now in these situations I always get nervous. I never want to look at them because I'm always afraid that they are going to think I'm laughing or making fun of them, but if I look like I'm obviously trying not to look then maybe they would be offended. So I just look around to see how other people are reacting. Oh but I want to look, because they are such a rare sight to behold. I actually sat beside a midget at at a part-time job as a telemarketer for FUN TIME TOURS back when I was in college. He sat on the right of me and an Indian woman in a sari with a tilak on her forehead set on the left of me. It was a strange place to work. A motley crew of employees. That job only lasted a month... Back to my St. Patrick's day weekend.

So, these 2 midgets walk into a bar. The man was dressed like a leprechaun, and his woman was not. So I felt this was a free pass to stare. I mean a midget dressed as a leprechaun wants you to look, right? well, during my friends show they hopped on stage as if to say, "LOOK AT ME!" and then they just stood there making grimacing faces as if to say look at us you fucking assholes, you fucking tall people. No one from the band knew who they were.
Tuesday rolls around(St. Patty's day) and The Von Bondies and Silversun Pickups were playing a free show in K.C. I decided to go. Among the sea of Green and drunken white people I spot more midgets and they too were dressed as Leprechauns. Oh god! why do they do this? Should I feel bad for them? Do they like to do this, or is it a sorta "tears of a clown" kinda thing?

No comments: